SMJK Heng Ee was founded by Belgian Roman Catholic priest Father Arthur A. Julien, from the Missions étrangères de Paris in 1957. Father Julien arrived in Malaya in 1952. He served as parish priest of the Church of Our Lady of Sorrows from 1961 to 1962, and as assistant parish priest to the Church of the Holy Spirit (now Cathedral of the Holy Spirit) with Father Paul Decroix between 1976 and 1985. Father Julien’s work extended beyond the church. He conducted missionary work with the community in places like Batu Maung, Bayan Lepas and Sungai Dua, and also regularly visited the detainees in Pulau Jerejak. His ability to converse in Mandarin, and later Hokkien, endeared him to the local community. Father Julien set up Heng Ee High School along Hamilton Road and Heng Ee Primary School within the grounds of the Church of Our Lady of Sorrows along Macalister Road. His passing on 11 September 2004, brought mourners from all walks of life to his funeral.